I am 3 months post op after my ACL surgery using a petella tendon graft. When can I return to running?
Bill, naturally this is best answered by the surgeon and the therapists you are working with. I am assuming that you are actually working with a PT? rather than answer your question directly, instead I'll give you some guidelines:
- You should have no trouble with single leg squats
- You should have no trouble jumping or hopping (A jump occurs by taking off of one leg and landing on two legs, while a hop occurs by taking off and landing on the same leg.
- You should be able to jump and hop in all three planes - forward and back, sideways, and with rotation.
- You should train by working on figure 8's and circles on a field before you try going for a run
- You should do short acceleration, deceleration drills pain free before you go for a run
- You should be able to run and cut left and right before you go out for distance
Hope this helps.
Also, you might check my blog out from time to time - coincidentally, I posted about this topic (another issue though)just today...so it must be topical!